ModZone.dk Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 110 posts from this thread on one page

ModZone.dk (http://modzone.dk/forums/index.php)
- Vejledninger / Guides / Tutorials (http://modzone.dk/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15)
-- Xbox: Jewel Sanding and Polishing Guide (http://modzone.dk/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36)

Posted by TykSak on 10-03-2003 20:18:

XBOX jewel sanding and polishing

First of you need to take out your jewel preferably without braking it remove the metal shielding then (2 options):

1: Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours then hit it (on the back) with a hammer this should make the jewel fall out (if not then goto 2)

2: Heat the jewel from the back until it gets warm on top (just warm to the touch) then you can use a small screwdriver to lift it and then slide something like a butter knife (for better control) under it and lift it off (be carefull not to scratch the case)

Heating can be done with a hair dryer, steam or many other ways just dont use anything that can/will melt the plastic and ALWAYS heat from the backside to avoid discoloration on the top

To get the black adhesive of the back of the jewel just put the jewel in a cool place for a couple of minutes then youll be able to remove it in one big piece in seconds.

Sanding:
If you get some adhesive tape and make a "handle" and glue/hotmelt the sandpaper to a hard flat surface, it

will give you better control and let you apply more pressure when sanding.

Fold the tape and place it over the jewel

Cut the excess tape

When preparing the sandpaper only use hotmelt in the corners, the "sanding area" needs to be flat

If you have deep scratches in your jewel you will need to start with a low grit sandpaper
(360 grit)

When the scratches are more or less switch to a higher grit until all the scratches are gone
(600 grit)

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by TykSak on 10-03-2003 20:18:

A little more sanding
(1200 grit)

(1200 grit with water)

The jewel should now look something like this

Polishing:
If you want it crystal clear you need to polish it
Get a piece of paper and tape it to a flat hard surface

Now grab you favorite toothpaste no this is not a joke the toothpaste will work like a high grit sandpaper.
Dab the jewel in the paste a couple of times so it will even out over a larger area, now "sand" away.

Other "cleaning agents" with sanding effect can also be used (Brasso)

The end result is a nice and crystal clear jewel.

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by Munchen on 27-03-2003 18:48:

Har lige prøvet dette med min ... Den er blevet nærmest støvet ?!?! Nogle ideer ?

Posted by TykSak on 27-03-2003 22:12:

Brugte du 1200 og derefter tandpasta?

Der skal ikke bruges ret meget tandpasta og der skal lægges lidt kraft i

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by Munchen on 28-03-2003 15:26:

Jeps, det gjorde jeg, men nok ikke nok så ...

Posted by pharcyde on 12-08-2003 23:17:

hi gang, just joined your board. love the case mods. i did want to let you all in a little secret. there is no need to sand the paint off the xbox jewel...you can use Easy Off oven cleaner...no joke! i read that plastic modelers using it to remove paint from plastic models. i just tried it today on my jewel and it worked like a charm. it does not harm the plastic jewel in any way!

ps- i will even post a pic later to show ya!

Posted by TykSak on 13-08-2003 08:58:

Phift! phift! uhm! Lemon scent

There are a lot of solvents that will remove the paint from the jewel although some of them may cloud up plastic and is not recommended but nice tip with the oven cleaner.

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by Todd587 on 13-08-2003 21:01:

Cant get it off!!

Great post, i've been looking for a nice tutorial like this...but i have a problem! I can't get my jewel off!!! I've tryed everything...blow dryed it for like 10 minutes, boiled water and held it over the steam for like 10 minutes, and it still wont come off. I try to pry it off once its hot, but i already chipped it once, and am scared im going to break it. Any idea what i might be doing wrong? I'd appretiate any feedback..thanks

-Todd

Posted by TykSak on 13-08-2003 21:47:

Youre doing the right thing but its not easy The first time I had to remove a jewel I also chipped it a little

see if you can get a small screwdriver under the jewel and lift it a little the push it further in (and the jewel dont have to be super hot)

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by Bob Duel on 13-08-2003 21:54:

quote:
Originally posted by TykSak
The first time I had to remove a jewel I also chipped it a little

I call your bluff... hehe!

Remember this jewel?

Posted by TykSak on 13-08-2003 22:12:

I seem to remember you doing the "dirty work"

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by Bob Duel on 13-08-2003 22:20:

Hey... people can't see the gun you're pointing at me!

Posted by Todd587 on 13-08-2003 22:22:

thanks guys i'll go try again. Tyksak, you dont have to reply to the e-mail i sent you Thanks again, and i guess if i screw up big time theres always mastermods.com.

Ill let you know how it turns out. Laters

-Todd

Posted by TykSak on 13-08-2003 22:22:

Hmmm! Yes I should MOD a gun!

BTW we did that first jewel before even reading any tuts about it :/ but whatever it wasnt mine

Visit my 19" rack site

Posted by pharcyde on 14-08-2003 05:16:

well, here is the result (sorry for crappy pics)

and